Bearings, the vital tribological element of rotating machinery is a specialty at
RBTS. RBTS' principals with experience dating back to the 50’s have an in depth
knowledge and know-how in both fluid-film and rolling element bearings beginning
with their fundamental principles of operation through advanced technologies for
evaluating their operational performance characteristics and limitations.
From the design of water and blood lubricated bearings for artificial heart
pumps, to the identification and solution of bearing failures in
turbo-machinery, to the design of the world largest size bearings for the
mining and hydropower generation industries, RBTS has been recognized
internationally with unparalleled capabilities. Bearing designs smaller than
1.0mm operating above 10,000 rpm to large size 4.0 meter in diameter bearings
have been successfully accomplished.
With many successful projects completed, RBTS has developed unparalleled
capabilities and know-how that is offered to equipment manufacturers and users
on a non-biased opinion.
Typical bearings design/analysis/trouble-shooting includes:
● Fixed & Tilting Pad Geometries
● Journal, Thrust & Conical
● Incompressible Fluid (Oils, Hydraulic
Fluids, Water, Blood, Etc.)
● Compressible Fluid (Air, Nitrogen, Oxygen,
● Hydrodynamic, Hydrostatic, or Hybrid
● Full-Film, Mixed-Film, or Boundary Lubrication
Our proprietary analytical software allows us to perform a full spectrum of bearing evaluation to determine bearing acceptability based on performance characteristics such as:
● Operating Minimum Film-Thickness
● Flow Rate
● Heat Balance & Temperature Rise
● Dynamic Characteristics and Their Effects on Rotor Vibration
● Whirl and Whip Instabilities
To learn more about our bearing engineering services, please contact RBTS.
Sample applications and a description of the services provided are available in
our photo gallery. Visit gallery